Bachelor Pads on a Budget
I’ve been using BEHR® Paint for years and jumped at the chance to write a post about my latest exciting project using their awesome paint! Recently I signed on to do a quick condo makeover for a bachelor. They are the best clients to have! They’re not sure what they like, they are always on point without getting too picky and they love to keep things simple and easy. My favorite client! Plus, this was my perfect opportunity to put all my “design on a dime” skills to the test. We weren’t able to change the configuration or move any support walls since it was a condo, but we were able to do as much as we could with less.
My top 10:
1. Change out your cabinets. If you are on a serious budget and have plenty of time you can always remove them, sand them down, paint them and put on new knobs. It will make a world of difference. Or, if you don’t have time, get new ones. Cabinets can typically run you $10k or more so I opted with the less expensive version, Ikea.
2. Invest in new countertops. The old 1980 linoleum countertop was oh-so-dated. We replaced it with a new quartz countertop in white – classic and sleek. Instead of going with Caeserstone, I chose Copa Stone. Half the price, same look.
3. Add a seating area. The peninsula in the before kitchen was bar height and only 10” deep. We knocked out the wall and replaced it with a cabinet and added a countertop from the remnants. Using remnants in other places in your home is a serious money saver! The new peninsula is now 24”
wide and standard countertop height. We added a few lucite stools so he can
entertain in his kitchen when he cooks. Yes…my bachelor cooks ladies!
4. Backsplashes are a MUST! It’s like the jewelry of the kitchen. We went with a classic marble, but instead of doing the “subway tile” which everyone is doing now, I installed a smaller more inexpensive vertical version giving the illusion that there is more surface space.
5. A new sink. A basin sink and pull out faucet finished the look. All in stainless steel of course.
And now on to the Living Room…
6. Paint, paint and more paint! This is where you get the biggest bang for your buck. We went with two different shades of gray throughout the space to keep the look masculine. I chose Behr paint because the coverage is great and we both loved the color options. Cordite was used on the fireplace and in the office and I covered the rest of the condo in Twilight Gray, including the kitchen. Keeping the colors consistent brought the whole place together, making it look bigger than it actually was.
7. Play up the architecture. Instead of installing drywall over the great brick fireplace we painted it so that it would stand out. (Again…the magic of Behr paint!) Texture is always important to keep the room from looking too flat. The brick feels more masculine and updated.
8. New flooring. If you’re going to invest money…do it here. Think of flooring as the foundation for the whole space. It sets the tone. Hardwood changed the whole look, gave the space a bit more texture and made the condo look more impressive.
9. Invest in furniture pieces that are the similar in color with the room. The monochromatic look will always be streamlined and clean, and here too texture can be added in the rugs, pillows and accessories. Also, make sure you add metal and glass into a space to make it more reflective and interesting, even if it’s just a small side table.
10. Last but not least, add art! A Dennis Hopper photograph of a young Jane Fonda was chosen for the living room. I blew up the photo and bought a white frame. This is my inexpensive version of a very expensive print. Black and white always works, especially when it’s oversized. This is where bigger is always better!
Kelly Edwards is the co-host and design coordinator for HGTV’s “Design on a Dime” as well as STYLE Network’s “Tacky House.” The celebrity designer has been offering dwellers with decorating dilemmas, distinctive design tips, bargain-decorating projects, and total home makeover transformations inspired by personal style and popular trends.
More Articles You Might Like